If you are looking for a reverse trike or you want bike performance with the safety of car like handling then you need look no further. Simply buy a MEV tR1ke kit and then add the power train from a Yamaha R1 motorcycle.
Specifications and Pricing
The MEV tR1ke is built using a reverse trike design. The chassis is a fully triangulated steel space frame, designed to achieve an extremely high level of strength capable of producing a torsional strength of more than 2,500 Nm per degree. The main tubulars are arranged efficiently to absorb the loads at the node points such as the roll hoop and the top of the suspension connection points. The design used computer simulated loads and was then refined through actual testing.
Length: 8.83 ft (2.69meters)
Width: 5.83 ft (1.78 meters)
Height: 3.67 ft (1.12 meters)
Weight: About 715 lbs (334 kilos)
No front brakes are provided in the kit. Optional Wilwood 4 pot calipers, discs, hubs and brakes (or optional high spec kit) are recommended. Entire rear brake disc package comes from R1 donor.
The standard power plant is the 150 hp 998cc Yamaha R1 engine and transmission obtained from the donor. These units are not the most powerful in their field but offer excellent value for the money. With 150 hp on tap in car that weighs in at 715 lbs, this results in a horsepower to weight ratio of 4.9 – supercar territory indeed.
Ride quality is always a personal preference and so the tR1ke features fully adjustable suspension settings. The all round coil over shock absorbers can be adjusted in ride height and damping. Basically the perfect feel can be achieved to suit all drivers. The standard steering rack supplies 2.8 turns lock to lock but a quicker 2.4 option is available.
BASE KIT COMPONENTS ($8,113 plus applicable taxes, shipping, and import duty *)
- Fully welded tubular space frame ready to accept Yamaha R2 engine and transmission components (1998 to 2006 model years)
- Pro Tech fully adjustable shock absorbers complete with coil over springs
- Front and rear wishbones (“A” arms) complete with poly bushings, crush tubes and ball joints
- Steel front uprights complete with hubs, with radial brake caliper mount to accept Wilwood Spec/AP etc. radial caliper
- Aluminum sections for front bulkhead, rear bulkhead, center console and cockpit floor
- 3 piece GRP set in color of your choice comprising: hood section and two front fender with steel mounting brackets in the your color choice
- Smoked polycarbonate wind deflector
- Front grill mesh
- Aluminum coolant pipes (2), for front radiator mounting
- Twin 2 gallon fuel tanks with locking caps
- Steering column
- Steering rack
- Assembly guide CD Rom
OPTIONAL EXTRAS (Prices include shipping)
- Left hand steering; Price $160
- 2 sport type GRP seats (silver, satin black or gloss black; Price $395
- Powder Coating to chassis frame and wishbone suspension components (silver, satin black, gloss black); Price $525
- Drilled and grooved brake discs; Price $210
- Quickrack steering rack kit; Price $185
- Lighting and wiring kit; Price $385
- High Spec front brake package (4 pot calipers, drilled and grooved rotors, and EBS brake pads); Price $685
- Kliktronic electronic steering wheel mounted gear shift; Price $998
- Kliktronic flappy paddles for gearshift; Price $605
- Kliktronic ignition interrupt module (for flat out gear changes; Price $250
- Non standard gel coat color; Price $105
PLEASE NOTE THAT PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO REVISION DUE TO CHANGES IN CURRENCY CONVERSION
* Shipping and insurance costs will be determined shortly after the time of order. There are a number of factors that effect these costs including, whether or not DRL has the kits in stock or, if the ordered kit can be loaded in a container with other kits being shipped, the location of the purchaser, and current overland trucking prices. Typically costs will range from $800 (picked up in Texas) up to $2,000 per kit. DRL makes every effort to minimize these costs and they will be a direct pass through to the purchaser. Import duty (determined by the US customs) will be charged at 2.5% of purchase.
Note standard gelcoat color range includes: white, red tangerine, yellow, imperial blue and Kawasaki green.
Kit builders need to provide hoses, clips, rivets, screws, nuts and bolts and sealant. Some of these items can be obtained from the donor car (if that approach is selected). DRL can supply all of the items at request at additional cost.
It should be noted that some of the items above are sourced in the UK. It is possible to find some of these parts in the US cheaper. During 2012 DRL intends to assist builders by sourcing parts locally in the US to save costs and will amend the price list as deemed appropriate. General savings can be made from the above standard prices by fitting used seats, and using other aftermarket lighting and wiring kits (available in the US).
A Yamaha R1 donor bike will provide the following components:
- Engine and transmission
- Swing arm
- Chain drive
- Back wheel
- Wiring loom
As you can see there is still a lot of the bike left so we recommend that you buy a decent R1, remove the parts that you need and sell the remaining parts on ebay as we know from both our win experience and that of our customers that you can recover most of the cost of the donor bike.
Learn more about the tR1ke by visiting the MEV Owner’s Forum.