The SVE Atomic has been designed with raw performance in mind. It is a single seat vehicle (right hand drive only) and has the engine located at the side and left of the driver for perfect weight distribution and handling characteristics. The powertrain is sourced from donor a Yamaha R1 motorcycle (1998-2006) donor, which gives the car a very high power to rate ratio. It has a prop-shaft driven rear axle.
Specifications and Pricing
The chassis is a fully triangulated steel space frame, designed to achieve an extremely high level of strength and rigidity capable of withstanding the loads expected in ultra-high driving. The main tubulars are arranged efficiently to absorb the loads at the node points such as the roll hoop and the top of the suspension connection points.
Length: 11.51 ft (3.51 meters)
Width: 5.83 ft (1.78 meters)
Height: 3.67 ft (1.02 meters)
Weight: About 735 lbs (334 kilos)
For the front, hubs and radial brake caliper mount (to install optional Wilwood/Spec A etc) radial 4 pot calipers.
For the rear hubs, calipers, and discs are provided in the kit .
The standard power plant is the 150-180 hp (depending upon the year of manufacture) 998cc Yamaha YZK R1 engine and transmission obtained from the donor. These units are not the most powerful in their field but offer excellent value for the money. With 150-180 hp on tap in car that weighs in at 735 lbs, this results in a horsepower to weight ratio of 4.8 (450hp per tonne) – supercar territory indeed.
Ride quality is always a personal preference and so the Atomic features fully adjustable suspension settings. The all round coil over shock absorbers can be adjusted in ride height and damping. Basically the perfect feel can be achieved to suit all drivers. The standard steering rack supplies 2.8 turns lock to lock but a quicker 2.4 option is available.
EXTREMELY LOW WEIGHT
By designing the chassis to be very efficient yet immensely strong, coupled with the R1 power plant and alloy suspension components, an incredibly low mass of 735 kilos has been achieved in the vehicle.
BASE KIT COMPONENTS ($8965 plus applicable taxes, shipping, and import duty)
- Fully welded tubular space frame ready to accept Yamaha R1 engine and transmission components (1998 to 2006 model years)
- Pro Tech fully adjustable shock absorbers complete with coil over springs
- Front and rear wishbones (“A” arms) complete with poly bushings, crush tubes and ball joints
- Steel front uprights complete with hubs, with radial brake caliper mount to accept Wilwood Spec/AP etc. radial caliper
- Steel Rear uprights, complete with rear hubs, rear brake calipers, rear discs and pads
- Hand brake and cables
- Pedal set with master cylinders
- Driveshafts and adaptor for R1 gearbox
- Aluminum sections for front bulkhead, rear bulkhead, center console and cockpit floor
- 7 piece GRP set in color of your choice comprising: hood section and two front fender with steel mounting brackets in the your color choice
- Smoked polycarbonate wind deflector
- 5 gallon fuel tank with locking cap
- Steering column and rack with 2.4 turns lock to lock
- Assembly guide CD ROM
OPTIONAL EXTRAS (Prices include shipping)
- 1 sport type GRP seat (black or to match GRP body components); Price $195
- Powder Coating to chassis frame and wishbone suspension components (silver, satin black, gloss black); Price $650
- Wilwood complete front brake kit (calipers, rotors, pads and stainless steel flex lines); Price $650
- Drilled and grooved brake discs (pair front and rear); Price $200
- Quickrack steering rack kit; Price $175
- Lighting and wiring kit; Price $365
- Electric reverse system; Price $599
- Wilwood or High Spec front brake package (4 pot calipers, drilled and slotted rotors, high performance pads, and stainless steel flex lines); Price $650
- Kliktronic electronic steering wheel mounted gear shift; Price $950
- Kliktronic flappy paddles for gearshift; Price $575
- Kliktronic ignition interrupt module (for flat out gear changes); Price $265
PLEASE NOTE THAT PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO REVISION DUE TO CHANGES IN CURRENCY CONVERSION AND MARKET CONDITIONS
Kit builders need to provide hoses, clips, rivets, screws, nuts and bolts and sealant. Some of these items can be obtained from the donor car (if that approach is selected). DRL can supply all of the items at request at additional cost.
It should be noted that some of the items above are sourced in the UK. It is possible to find some of these parts in the US for less cost. During 2012 DRL intends to assist builders by sourcing parts locally in the US and will amend the price list as deemed appropriate. General savings can be made from the above standard prices by fitting a used seat, and using other aftermarket lighting and wiring kits (available in the US).
SHIPPING, IMPORT DUTY & CUSTOMS/BROKERAGE FEES
When DRL imports the kits into the US, there are ocean shipping costs, import duties (2.5% of purchase) and customs/brokers fees that have to be paid. DRL brings kits into the US by container at periodically intervals, thus minimizing the ocean shipping costs (since multiple kits can be loaded into the container). Typically these total extra costs (if shipped in by container) will be $1500. Domestic shipping on a pallet from our shop in Texas to states in the US usually ranges from $500 to $1000. DRL can also arrange for kits to be shipped in direct from the factory to the customer’s door. Typically these costs are higher and can be quoted on request once a final destination has been established.
A Yamaha R1 donor bike will provide the following components:
- Engine and transmission
- PCM and Wiring loom
- Instrument cluster
- Handle bar and ignition switches
As you can see there is still a lot of the bike left so we recommend that you buy a decent R1, remove the parts that you need and sell the remaining parts on Ebay as we know from both our win experience and that of our customers that you can recover most of the cost of the donor bike.
DRL can supply the SVE Atomic in various stages of build, including a frame and suspension components, a partial rolling chassis that does not include any brake lines or wiring, a full rolling chassis that does include brake lines and non-engine related wiring, one that includes the wiring and brake lines or a turnkey version. DRL can also assist customers with the installation of different power plants (e.g. Honda or BMW etc.), if the components are made available by customer. Please contact DRL for pricing. Also with different power plants, the kit can be converted to left hand drive.