If you like the idea of the SVE Exobusa or SVE XR1 but prefer the idea of a classical car transversely mounted power-plant instead of a bike engine and sequential operated transmission, that requires an expensive chain driven differential and electric reverse, then the SVE Exotech may be the perfect solution for you. There are a number of Ford based 2.0 DOHC engines (with HP ranging from about 150 up to 300) that are available in several donor Focus models. While the overall weight of the SVE Exotech is about 250 lbs more than an equivalent SVE Exobusa or SVE XR1, the larger torque range gives greater flexibility in all types of street and track driving conditions.
Specifications and Pricing
The chassis is a fully triangulated steel space frame, designed by qualified structural engineers to provide a strong and rigid platform capable for safe and exceptional handling, expected by today’s sport’s car enthusiasts in both street and track conditions.
Length: 10.78 ft (3.3 meters)
Width: 5.49 ft (1.68 meters)
Height: 3.12 ft (0.96 meters)
Wheel base: 7.39 ft (2.26 meters)
Weight: About 1050 lbs (478 kilos) depending upon options
Wilwood or Hi Spec 4 pot calipers, rotors, and pads (available as optional extras) are recommended front and rear. The optional calipers bolt directly to the kit provided uprights. The rotors are 11” in diameter which, combined with the optional calipers, provide exceptional stopping power.
Standard 2.0 DOHC transversely mounted power plants that can be installed in the SVE Exotech include the 150 hp 2000-2004 Zetec (from a Focus ZX3 donor), the 180 hp SVT (from a 2002-2004 Focus ZX3 donor), the 180 hp and up Duratec (from a 2005-2012 Focus ZX3 donor), and the turbocharged Ecoboost (from a 2014-2015 Focus ST). 5 or 6 speed Ford transmissions can be used with all these engines.
With an inherent low center of gravity and excellent weight distribution, the SVE Exotech provides superb handling characteristics. The car features fully adjustable suspension settings and all round coil-over shock absorbers (front and rear), which can be adjusted in ride height and damping. Basically the perfect feel can be achieved to suit all drivers. The standard steering rack, provided in the kit, supplies 3.5 turns lock to lock but a quicker 2.4 turns lock to lock option is available.
BASE KIT COMPONENTS PRICE $9,750 (plus shipping, import duty, and custom’s/brokerage fees – see below for details)
- Fully TIG welded tubular space frame ready to accept the Ford power plants as described in the Power section above (customer to specify power plant)
- Pro Tech fully adjustable shock absorbers complete with coil over springs
- Front and rear wishbones (“A” arms) complete with poly bushings spacers and ball joints
- Rear Uprights, complete with hubs, bearings and brakes (inclusive of rear handbrake)
- Front Rally Design alloy uprights, hubs, and bearings
- Aluminum sections for cockpit floor, rear bulkhead, and center console
- 5 piece GRP set in color of your choice comprising: hood section and 4 fenders (with steel mounting brackets) in the style of your choice
- Brake, clutch and throttle pedals complete with 2 master cylinders and balance bar
- Mesh for front grill opening
- Aluminum coolant pipes (3), for front radiator mounting
- Twin 4 gallon Fuel Tanks with locking cap
- Steering rack complete with track rod ends
- Pedals, master cylinders and balance bar
- Used steering column and wheel
- Handbrake lever
- 2 standard bucket type GRP seats, (black or colored to match chosen GRP body panels); Price $360
- 2 sport type GRP seats black (or colored to match chosen GRP body panels); Price $360
- Stainless Steel Exhaust System including catalytic converter; Price $695
- Stainless Steel exhaust header; Price $695
- Full lighting set; Price $390 with Photon lights Price $575
- Double hoop standard roll bar and bracing (welded to chassis at time of kit manufacture); Price $300
- MSA approved Roll bar and Bracing to meet racing requirements (welded to chassis at time of kit manufacture; Price $385
- Sandblasting and Powder Coating to chassis frame and wishbone suspension components (in choice of colors); Price $650 If a second clear powder coat is specified; Price $850
- Wilwood complete front brake kit (calipers, rotors, pads and stainless steel flex lines); Price $650
- Quick rack steering rack kit; Price $185
- Front Aero fenders; Price $75 per pair extra to kit price or $150 aftermarket
- Front Aeromax wings; Price $150 per pair extra to kit price or $200 aftermarket
- Infinitely variable camber adjusters on top and lower rear wishbones; Price $365
- Electric Reverse kit (including high torque motor, mounting bracket & pinion); Price $720
- Fully adjustable nose aero wings (for increased own force); Price $365
- Rear wing with mounting brackets; Price $575
- Weather Protection Package consisting of custom laminated glass windshield, modified hood (to mount windshield), snap on vinyl sides and roof sections, extra steel bracing; Price $1320
PLEASE NOTE THAT PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO REVISION DUE TO CHANGES IN CURRENCY CONVERSION AND MARKET CONDITIONS
Kit builders need to provide hoses, clips, rivets, screws, nuts and bolts and sealant. Some of these items can be obtained from the donor bike (if that approach is selected). DRL can supply all of the items at request at additional cost.
SHIPPING, IMPORT DUTY & CUSTOMS/BROKERAGE FEES
When DRL imports the kits into the US, there are ocean shipping costs, import duties (2.5% of purchase) and customs/brokers fees that have to be paid. DRL brings kits into the US by container at periodically intervals, thus minimizing the ocean shipping costs (since multiple kits can be loaded into the container). Typically these total extra costs (if shipped in by container) will be $1500. Domestic shipping on a pallet from our shop in Texas to states in the US usually ranges from $500 to $1000. DRL can also arrange for kits to be shipped in direct from the factory to the customer’s door. Typically these costs are higher and can be quoted on request once a final destination has been established.
The selected donor will provide the following components:
- Engine and transmission, including auxiliary components
- Engine and transmission mounting brackets
- Drive shafts
- PCM and engine wiring and sensors
- Fuel pump and fuel sending unit
- Radiator expansion (header) tank
- Brake fluid reservoir
- Diagnostic (OBD2) port
- Steering column complete with switches and connectors
- Front and rear wheel bearings
- Rear spindles
- Rear caliper mounting plates
- Rear calipers
- Rear rotors
- Front rotors
- E-brake handle and cables
- Radiator fans
- Wheels and tires
- Miscellaneous nuts and bolts and connecting hardware
As you will determine, there is still a lot of the donor left after stripping the above parts, so we recommend that you buy a good donor, remove the parts that you need and sell the remaining parts on E bay (or other method outlet), as we know from both our own experience and that of our customers that you can recover some of the cost of the donor car.
DRL can supply the SVE Exotech in various stages of build, including a frame and suspension components, a partial rolling chassis that does not include any brake lines or wiring, a full rolling chassis that does include brake lines and non-engine related wiring, one that includes the wiring and brake lines or a turnkey version. DRL can also assist customers with the installation of other types of transversely mounted power plants.