With the success of the Classic Rocket kit originally conceived in 2007 and subsequent improvements added in the years to follow, the Exo Sports Cars (ESC) team decided in early 2015 to commence a new in-house design to portray a more modern and aerodynamic look, combined with frame and suspension components better suited for the more modern applications and forced induction higher horse power power-plants. This new design effort resulted in the birth of the SVE Rocket II. In the ground-up engineering performed of the new kit, ESC used advanced F1 CAD and Finite Element techniques to redefine its exo-skeletal chassis and improve the strength, torsional rigidity and suspension geometry for improved high performance handling.
In the US, Dove Racing LLC (DRL – ESC’s US distributor) further added to the development by engineering and installing 220 hp 1.6 and 270 hp 2.0 Ford 2.0 Ecoboost engines and the new generation Getrag 6 speed transmissions. These new power plants (found in 2013 and up Fiesta ST and Focus ST donor cars respectively), require the use of aftermarket Engine Management systems (ECM), since the donor original ECMs cannot be used with the modern Ecoboost engines due to the multitude of other functions in the donor cars that the ECM controls.
In keeping with the development of the SVE Rocket II, ESC and DRL are able to offer optional aftermarket ECMs and plug in engine harnesses to simplify kit building. Additional engineering has established the feasibility of the use of water-to-air intercoolers, resulting in the availability of optional intercooler kits to again facilitate the building process with the mid-engined configurations. The SVE Rocket II frames can also be configured to accept the earlier Zetec and SVT power-plants.
Specifications and Pricing
The chassis is a fully triangulated steel space frame, designed by qualified structural engineers to provide a stiff and strong structure capable of withstanding high torsional loads with low center of gravity and exceptional suspension geometry. Various designs of Roll Protection Bars are available as optional extras. Frame is welded using TIG techniques.
Length 10 ft 11 inches (3.429 meters)
Width 5 ft 8 inches (1.725 meters)
Height 3 ft 9 inches (1.143 meters)
Wheel base 8.0 ft (2.425 meters)
Weight About 1,350 lbs (612.3 kilos) depending upon options
Wilwood or Hi Spec 4 pot calipers, rotors, and pads (available as optional extras) are recommended front and rear. The optional calipers bolt directly to the kit provided uprights. The rotors are 11” in diameter which, combined with the optional calipers, provide exceptional stopping power.
2.0 liter 4 cylinder rear located Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC) Ford Zetec, SVT, Duratec or 1.6 or 2.0 liter Ecoboost engines (specified by customer), transversely mounted and mated to a 5 or 6 speed (Ford or Getrag) transmission, located in mid-engined location (in front of rear driveshafts). Power ranges from 140 – 300 hp depending upon engine and tuning selected. Power to weight ratio varies from about 9 lbs per hp (Zetec) to about 4 lbs per hp (Ecoboost).
Other transverse 4 cylinder power plants may be used but modifications will have to be made to the engine mounts and driveshafts. (DRL can advise customers on specific engine choices and modifications required and can perform these modifications).
Automatic transmission installation is possible.
BASE KIT COMPONENTS $9,742 (plus shipping, import duty and customs fees – see below)
- Fully welded tubular space frame ready to accept 1.6 or 2.0 liter Ford Focus engine (see power options) and, 5 or 6 speed transmission components
- Pro Tech fully adjustable shock absorbers complete with coil over springs (300 lb rear, 175 lb front)
- Front and rear wishbones (“A” arms) complete with poly bushings and crush tubes
- Rear Uprights to take donor drive shafts, hubs, bearings, discs, pads, and calipers (inclusive of donor rear handbrake cables)
- Alloy front uprights complete with hubs and bearings, to accept rear donor rotors and radial mount for Wilwood Powerlite or Hi Spec 4 piston calipers and pads (optional extra)
- Aluminum sections for front bulkhead, rear bulkhead, nose side panels, center consol and cockpit floor
- 7 piece GRP set in color of your choice comprising: hood section, engine cover, front and rear fenders (with steel mounting brackets) in the style of your choice (flat or contour)
- Aluminum coolant pipes (2) for front radiator mounting
- 5 gallon fuel tank with locking cap
- Steering rack
- Assembly guide CD ROM
- 2 standard bucket type GRP seats, (black or colored to match chosen GRP body panels; Price $370
- 2 sport type GRP seats black (or colored to match chosen GRP body panels); Price $370
- Custom padded and quilted seat inserts (pair) Price $295
- Custom padded, and insulated quilted tunnel cover (to match seat inserts) Price $225
- Custom padded fully upholstered seats with material, piping and stitching to customers specification ($700 for pair)
- Custom padded and upholstered center tunnel with material, piping and stitching to customer specification ($300)
- Stainless Steel custom exhaust headers (Zetec and SVT only) headers; Price $662
- Stainless Steel custom down pipe and muffler (Zetec and SVT only); Price $578
- Wiring loom with fuses/relays/switches and full DOT approved lighting set; Price $790
- Double hoop standard roll bar and bracing (welded to chassis at time of kit manufacture); Price $388
- Powder Coating to chassis frame and wishbone suspension components (in choice of colors); Price $650
- Wilwood aluminum pedal assembly with balance bars and 3 cylinders; Price $398
- Wilwood or Hi Spec front brake kit (4 pot calipers, drilled and slotted rotors, performance pads & stainless steel flex lines; Price $650
- Wilwood or Hi-Spec 4 pot handbrake caliper rear (to accept E-brake cables); Price $580
- Drilled and grooved brake discs (pair – front or rear); Price $210
- Quickrack steering rack kit; Price $210
- Front Aero fenders; Price $80 per pair extra to kit price
- Front Aeromax wings; Price $150 per pair extra to kit price
- Infinitely variable camber adjusters on top and lower rear wishbones; Price $385
- Rear wing with mounting brackets; Price $605
- Complete wiring harness for non-engine related functions (including relays, fuses, fuse cabinet and switches); Price $1320
- Complete plug-in engine related wiring harness (Zetec and SVT only); Price $1575
- Ford Racing 2.0 Ecoboost, Getrag 6 speed, PCM, engine control wiring harness, complete powertrain package; Call For Pricing
- Control package for 1.6 Ecoboost (complete with PCM, engine wiring harness); Call for pricing
- Air-to-water intercooler kit (for Ecoboost engines), complete with intercooler, heat exchanger, pump, hoses and connection hardware; Call for pricing
PLEASE NOTE THAT PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO REVISION DUE TO CHANGES IN CURRENCY CONVERSION.
*OCEAN SHIPPING, IMPORT DUTY AND CUSTOM FEES WILL DEPEND UPON SHIPPING METHOD AND ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO CHANGES IN IMPORT TARIFFS. TYPICALLY IF KIT IS SHIPPED IN A CONTAINER SHIPMENT WITH OTHER KITS, THEN COSTS WILL BE ABOUT $1500 (TO BE ADDED TO THE PRICE OF THE KIT AND OPTIONS SELECTED). IF KIT IS TO BE SHIPPED DOOR TO DOOR FROM FACTORY THEN PLEASE CALL FOR PRICING.
SHIPPING, IMPORT DUTY & CUSTOMS/BROKERAGE FEES
When DRL imports the kits into the US, there are ocean shipping costs, import duties (2.5% of purchase) and customs/brokers fees that have to be paid. DRL brings kits into the US by container at periodically intervals, thus minimizing the ocean shipping costs (since multiple kits can be loaded into the container). Typically these total extra costs (if shipped in by container) will be $1500. Domestic shipping on a pallet from our shop in Texas to states in the US usually ranges from $500 to $1000. DRL can also arrange for kits to be shipped in direct from the factory to the customer’s door. Typically these costs are higher and can be quoted on request once a final destination has been established.
DRL can supply the SVE Rocket 2 in various stages of build, including a frame and suspension components, a partial rolling chassis that does not include any brake lines or wiring, a full rolling chassis that does include brake lines and non-engine related wiring, one that includes the wiring and brake lines or a turnkey version. DRL can also assist customers with the installation of different transversely mounted power plants (e.g. Honda K20 etc.), if the components are made available. Please contact DRL for pricing.
The selected donor will provide the following components:
- Engine and transmission, including auxiliary components;
- Engine and transmission mounting brackets;
- Drive shafts;
- PCM and engine wiring and sensors;
- Fuel pump and fuel sending unit;
- Radiator expansion (header) tank;
- Brake fluid reservoir;
- Diagnostic (OBD2) port;
- Steering column complete with switches and connectors;
- Front and rear wheel bearings;
- Rear spindles;
- Rear caliper mounting plates;
- Rear calipers;
- Rear rotors;
- Front rotors;
- E-brake handle and cables;
- Radiator fans;
- Wheels and tires;
- Miscellaneous nuts and bolts and connecting hardware;
As you will determine, there is still a lot of the donor left so we recommend that you buy a donor, remove the parts that you need and sell the remaining parts on Ebay (or other method means) as we know from both our own experience and that of our customers that you can recover some of the cost of the donor car.