The original Rocket kit car was conceived by Stuart Mills of Mills Extreme Vehicles (MEV) in 2007. In 2008 the team at Exo Sports Cars (ESC) started to manufacture the Rocket under exclusive license in the UK from MEV. It was exhibited at every major motoring event in the UK calendar and quickly gained a cult following. The kit is now known as the SVE Rocket Classic. The global sales potential for this kit was quickly realized and distribution was set up not only across Europe, but also in the USA, Australia and South Africa. Through the years, through continuous development and experience, the Rocket Classic kit has evolved and been improved by the ESC team and hundreds of these kits have reached all corners of the globe.
The frame and suspension pieces are meticulously welded with TIG techniques to very tight tolerances and the GRP parts fabricated, using the highest professional standards of craftsmanship. The Rocket Classic was originally designed to accept the Ford Zetec engines (found in 2000 to 2004 Ford Focus cars), but through the years the frame has been modified by the ESC team to accept SVT (2002 -2004 Ford Focus SVT cars), and Duratec and Ecoboost engines (found in Ford Focus and other Ford cars in later years to date). Other power plants from suitable Toyota and Honda donors can also be used to customer specifications. The SVE Rocket Classic, with it’s unique design and looks, continues to be a favorite among exo-skeletal mid-engined kit car builders.
Specifications and Pricing
The chassis is a fully triangulated steel space frame, designed by qualified structural engineers to provide a stiff and strong structure capable of withstanding high torsional loads with low center of gravity and exceptional suspension geometry. Various designs of Roll Protection Bars are available as optional extras. Frame is welded using TIG techniques.
Length: 10 ft 6 inches (3.20 meters)
Width: 5 ft 5 inches (1.651 meters)
Height: 3 ft 9 inches (1.43 meters)
Wheel Base: 8 ft (2.425 meters)
Weight: About 1250 lbs (566.99 kilos) depending on options
Discs front and rear with optional 4 pot front calipers, vented, grooved and cross drilled rotors.
2.0 liter 4 cylinder rear located Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC) Ford Zetec, SVT, Duratec or 1.6 or 2.0 liter Ecoboost engines (specified by customer), transversely mounted and mated to a 5 or 6 speed (Ford or Getrag) transmission, located in mid-engined location (in front of rear driveshafts). Power ranges from 140 – 300 hp depending upon engine and tuning selected. Power to weight ratio varies from about 9 lbs per hp (Zetec) to about 4 lbs per hp (Ecoboost).
Other transverse 4 cylinder power plants may be used but modifications will have to be made to the engine mounts and driveshafts. (DRL can advise customers on specific engine choices and modifications required and can perform these modifications).
Automatic transmission installation is possible.
BASE KIT COMPONENTS ($7,792 plus shipping, import duty and customs fees – see below*)
- Fully welded tubular space frame ready to accept 1.6 or 2.0 liter Ford Focus engine (see power options) and 5 or 6 speed transmission components
- Pro Tech fully adjustable shock absorbers complete with coil over springs (300 lb rear, 175 lb front)
- Front and rear wishbones (“A” arms) complete with poly bushings and crush tubes
- Rear Uprights to take donor drive shafts, hubs, bearings, discs, pads, and calipers (inclusive of donor rear handbrake cables)
- Alloy front uprights complete with hubs and bearings, to accept rear donor rotors and radial mount for Wilwood Powerlite or Hi Spec 4 piston calipers and pads (optional extra)
- Aluminum sections for front bulkhead, rear bulkhead, nose side panels, center consol and cockpit floor
- 7 piece GRP set in color of your choice comprising: hood section, engine cover, front and rear fenders (with steel mounting brackets) in the style of your choice (flat or contour)
- Aluminum coolant pipes (2), for front radiator mounting
- 6 gallon fuel tank with locking cap
- Steering rack
- Assembly guide CD ROM
OPTIONAL EXTRAS (Prices include shipping)
- 2 standard bucket type GRP seats, (black or colored to match chosen GRP body panels); Price $370
- 2 sport type GRP seats (black or colored to match chosen GRP body panels); Price $370
- Custom padded and quilted seat inserts (pair): Price $295
- Custom padded, and insulated quilted tunnel cover (to match seat inserts) Price $175
- Custom padded fully upholstered seats with material, piping and stitching to customers specification; Price $700 for pair
- Custom padded and upholstered center tunnel with material, piping and stitching to customer specification; Price $300
- 6mm thick polycarbonate flyscreen; Price $65
- Stainless Steel custom exhaust headers (Zetec and SVT only) headers; Price $662
- Stainless Steel custom down pipe and muffler (Zetec and SVT only); Price $578
- Wiring loom with fuses/relays/switches and full DOT approved lighting set; Price $790
- Double hoop standard roll bar and bracing (welded to chassis at time of kit manufacture); Price $388
- Race Type (FIA Approved) roll bar and bracing (welded to chassis at time of kit manufacture); Price $466
- Powder Coating to chassis frame and wishbone suspension components (in choice of colors); Price $650
- Wilwood aluminum pedal assembly with balance bars and 3 cylinders; Price $392
- Wilwood or Hi-Spec 4 pot brake calipers front; Price $445
- Hi-Spec 4 pot handbrake caliper rear; Price $580
- Drilled and grooved brake discs (pair); Price $210
- Quickrack steering rack kit; Price $210
- Front Aero fenders; Price $80 per pair extra to kit price or $160 aftermarket
- Front Aeromax wings; Price $150 per pair extra to kit price or $210 aftermarket
- Infinitely variable camber adjusters on top and lower rear wishbones; Price $385
- Fully adjustable nose aero wings (for increased own force); Price $385
- Fully adjustable nose aero wings half carbon fiber; Price $580
- Rear wing with mounting brackets; Price $605
- Complete plug-in wiring harness for non-engine related functions (including relays, fuses, and switches); Price $985
- Vibratechnics rear engine torque mount for road use; Price $150
- Vibratechnics rear engine torque mount for performance track use; Price $165
- Left hand drive steering and rack option; Price $155
- Hockey mask style front grill bar; Price $260
- Complete plug-in engine related wiring harness (ZETEC AND SVT ONLY); Price $1575
- Ford Racing 2.0 Ecoboost crate motor, Getrag 6 speed , PCM control package and plug-in wiring harness; Call for pricing
- Control package for 1.6 Ecoboost (complete with PCM, and plug-in engine wiring harness); Call for pricing
- Air-to-water intercooler kit (for Ecoboost engines), complete with intercooler, heat exchanger, pump, hoses and connection hardware; Call for pricing
PLEASE NOTE THAT PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO REVISION DUE TO CHANGES IN CURRENCY CONVERSION AND MARKET CONDITIONS.
*OCEAN SHIPPING, IMPORT DUTY AND CUSTOM FEES WILL DEPEND UPON SHIPPING METHOD AND ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO CHANGES IN IMPORT TARIFFS. TYPICALLY IF KIT IS SHIPPED IN A CONTAINER SHIPMENT WITH OTHER KITS, THEN COSTS WILL BE ABOUT $1500 (TO BE ADDED TO THE PRICE OF THE KIT AND OPTIONS SELECTED). IF KIT IS TO BE SHIPPED DOOR TO DOOR FROM FACTORY THEN PLEASE CALL FOR PRICING.
The SVE Rocket Classic is designed primarily to accept components from a 2004-2004 Mk 1 Focus ZX3 with manual 5 speed transmission, or 2002-2004 Focus SVT with Getrag 6 speed transmission. However kits can be supplied to accept components from later Ford Focus donor cars, including with 2.0 Duratec and, 1.6 and 2.0 Ecoboost engines. Please call for details of these options to assist with selecting the powertrain of your choice. With the later donor cars which have only one computer (rather than a separate engine PCM and chassis computer, found in the earlier Focus Mk 1 cars), it is not possible to use the donor PCM and it will be necessary to obtain an aftermarket PCM instead. This applies to all Ecoboost powered cars.
Typically the Focus Mk 1 donor cars with provide the following components for your build:
- Engine and manual transmission
- Driveshafts (right and left)
- Engine mounts
- Front hubs (mounted in rear of kit)
- Fuel pump module and mounting coaming (removed from donor tank with connector)
- Engine wiring harness and PCM (with diagnostic OBD2 port), and all engine sensors
- Alternator and pulleys
- Fuel pump driver module with connector (where applicable)
- Secondary intake air runner control and connector (where applicable)
- Manual gear shifter
- Rear disc brake rotors and calipers
- Rear flexi-brake lines
- Hand brake lever and parking brake cables (2)
- Steering column with switches and connectors (including ignition switch and key and PATS transducer*)
- Radiator fans
- Radiator (some models only)
- Radiator overflow tank; brake reservoir
- Exhaust manifold (where applicable)
- Wheels and tires (where applicable)
- Seat belts (where applicable)
- Miscellaneous nuts and bolts and connecting hardware
- Miscellaneous coolant hoses
- Miscellaneous serpentine belts
*NOTE: It is important to retain the ignition key and PCM which goes with a particular car because the ignition key has a chip contained within it. The key is interrogated by the Passive Anti Theft System (PATS) transducer which in turn passes a signal to the PCM which then allows the engine to start. Ignition keys and PCMs cannot be swapped. This does not apply to aftermarket PCMs and control packages with the Ecoboost motors.